Best gelato in Florence? Your guide here!
So what are you looking for in a good, artisanal gelato? It’s all about the colour and the texture.
1) Look at the colors of the gelato. Are they over the top – pistachio the colour of a bright green nuclear meltdown, for instance, or the strawberry the lurid red of President Trump’s tie? You want a pistachio green which is subtle, a red which is pink, not blood orange. If the colours are lurid, it’s more than likely this is not artisanal gelato and that artificial coloring (and perhaps flavouring) have been used in the process. In a gelateria that uses only natural ingredients, the colors will be more refined. Have a look at the banana gelato. It should not be the colour of a Banana in Pajamas. It should be grey. (Now doesn’t that sound appetising?)
2) Can you see the gelato’s ingredients listed? Real artisanal gelaterie love their products so much they love to list what they have used to create their taste sensations. The ingredients should not be a secret. If you can’t see a list them already posted somewhere, ask the staff; they should be happy to tell you.
3) How is the gelato displayed? If the gelato is piled high in the display freezer, it is probably whipped. Slow-churned is the style for artisanal gelato and, according to the experts, the product should be stored in covered, circular containers.
4) Are the fruit flavors in season? This is a total no-brainer. Certain fruits are available year-round – think bananas, lemons, and other citrus. The fruit flavors available in a gelateria are a good indicator of whether the gelato-maker is using fresh, local ingredients. The flavors in the store should be available at the local farmer’s markets. A peach-flavored gelato in July is fine. Peach in January, not so much. June is strawberry season in Rome. Fraises des bois, are in around April/May.
5) Is it made on-site? Ask. Gelato made on premises is less likely to be mass-produced.
Here are some of the best in Florence, thanks to the experts at Visit Florence.
|– La Carraia||– Badiani||– Gelateria dei Neri|
|– Carapina||– Vivoli||– Cantina del Gelato|
|– Mordilatte||– Sorriso||– Procopio|
|– Perchè no?||– Vestri||– Rivareno|
|– Grom||– Venchi||– Edoardo|
|– Gelato della Passera|
For more, go to Visit Florence: Our Top Gelato Shops in Florence
And… tell us what you think. Name your favourite gelato shop anywhere in the world and we can include it in our Things we like category to spread the love.
The three best bars in Florence, amended - 47 PlusPosted on 2018-06-04 05:09:07
[…] 47 Plus was in Florence last year, the editors found the three best bars in the city. And here they were. But in Spring, we went back. And sadly have removed one from the list, and added […]
Is house-swapping for you? One person's experience - 47 PlusPosted on 2017-11-29 01:34:56
[…] Read more on the insider’s guide to Cannes here. […]
Is house-swapping for you? One person's experience - 47 PlusPosted on 2017-11-29 01:34:31
[…] of days, so she was able to introduce me to the butcher (Chez Pierre @ 32 Avenue de Lérins), the baker, the local supermarche (Carrefour City Cannes) on 41 Boulevard Alexandre III. They weren’t […]
What to binge on this week: The Sinner, The Line of Duty - 47 PlusPosted on 2017-11-12 00:27:59
[…] Mindhunter? Well, here is something which mines the same dark vein which once you are hooked you will […]
John CarsonPosted on 2017-09-29 14:00:20
I saw somewhere, recently, that his mansion on Mount Dessert Island, Maine, is also to be auctioned... so ending a fabulous period of philanthropy on this largely donated, island National Park, for which the Rockefellers have also provided carriage ways, stone bridges, and gate houses that are a testament to good taste and a more gentle lifestyle than is provided by almost daily cruise boat arrivals, just offshore, from the island's main village, Bar Harbour.
Judy McMahonPosted on 2017-09-29 02:22:37
Fantastic initiative Christine. Looking forward to some very good relevant reads! Thank you for doing this
Bea DougallPosted on 2017-09-28 13:47:46
Looking forward to this💕
BejoyPosted on 2017-07-20 01:29:04